DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist or a health expert in any way. This is my personal experience and what I’ve learned from it!
I’ve always been a little nervous to add anything related to my fitness routine or my diet to my blog, but here I am braving myself and doing just that!
With my food, I always try to keep a certain balance! I got used to a healthy eating even before that was actually “a thing”! So this new “trend” that got everyone these past couple of years, for me was actually a life style long before.
I’m not saying that I was juicing or living on salads all the time, but I definitely still can hear my Mom’s voice in my inner ear telling me to eat all my veggies, not only my meat!
Due to the whole access to information we have nowadays, I can say that my meals have now a good variation of courses to choose from, keeping the same healthy and nutritious properties.
One more thing I need to throw in!… I’m small ( read tiny ), but very energetic and I really need nutritious food in my system periodically! Plus I go to the gym almost everyday(!?) – “not very good to your body!” some may say. I don’t care! It’s my body that allows me to do that and I sure listen to its signals! Plus being active helps me with my other issues, like insomnia.
I would love to write a separate post where to share my gym programme, and all the exercises I do to “spend” my energy! Would you like to read about that?
So here you have some of those healthy meals I love! But first…
Aliments you’ll always find on my table:
– meat ( chicken, beef ), fish ( salmon, tuna, cod, etc. ) and lots of eggs ( main supplier: my own Granny )
– milk: natural whole fat milk, fat Greek yogurt and vegetal milk: almond and coconut milk, plus cheese: cottage cheese, mozzarella, feta, etc.
I know, right!? Outrageous!!! I loooove milk… From the good old cows! The same one our parents and grand parents grew up with! Those who think it’s not a necessity for the body, will crucify me for sure! Well, I love it! And I don’t have any allergic reaction to it! I’ve heard lots of snobs saying that “we’re the only species that drinks milk from other species!”. So what?! It’s what we’ve done for ages now! It’s the world we live in! And why not make the best of whatever nature has to offer!?
– vegetables: salads ( lettuce, ruccola/rocket, baby spinach ), broccoli, brussel sprouts, pees, pods, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms and potatoes ( sweet potatoes too ), cucumbers, spring onions and garlic
– fruits: avocado, bananas, mangoes, apples, strawberries, oranges, limes and lemon and whatever seasonal fruits I find at the market… But I live on bananas, like a little monkey! Haha!
– dry fruits: apricots, grape, figs, dates, coconut
– seeds and nuts: sunflower, pumpkin, chia, flax seed, sesame, peanuts, walnuts, almonds all eaten raw!
– spices: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, honey, chili powder, basil, oregano and anything that makes your food taste good
– guilty pleasures: peanut butter… Crunchy!, and rye flour biscuits. YUUUM!!!
1. Yogurt with fruits, nuts and honey
2. Poached eggs on rice biscuit with avocado
3. Fruit smoothie
4. Banana pancakes with fruits
Rye flour biscuits, banana + seeds and nuts
1. Stir fry
2. Rice pasta with meat and veggies
3. Eggs with greenery + salad
4. Vegetables simply boiled in hot water with salt, chili flakes and soy/oyster sauce or cooked, steamed in the oven with a bit of olive oil and some spices
mainly nuts and maybe one banana
1. Salad: Caesar Salad, Caprese, whatever recipe you come up with…
2. Steak and veggies, either steamed or cooked in the oven with a bit of olive oil and some spices, or simply boiled in hot water with salt, chili flakes and soy/oyster sauce
3. Fish and veggies, either steamed or cooked in the oven with a bit of olive oil and some spices, or simply boiled in hot water with salt, chili flakes and soy/oyster sauce
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post, a bit different than the usual makeup/beauty reviews! Should I continue with the whole HEALTH thing and make it a mini-series? I really need your opinion on this one…
Thanks for reading!
See you soon, beautiful!
PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS, INTERESTING FACTS and some TRICKS:
- I really don’t get it how some say that a smoothie in the morning can be so “satiable” and “fulfilling”, when I , if I don’t get to “chew” on something consistent so that my brain gets the idea that I’m actually eating , I turn berserker in less than 2 hours. Therefore a smoothie, although it’s an important part of my diet, will almost always accompany a main course from my Breakfast or Lunch, or it will be a Snack in between .
- remember to eat your fruits/drink your juices or smoothies in the first part of the day to benefit 100% from their nutritious and energetic power! If you drink them at night, you might find yourself bloated, and without any will to sleep, which will cause a long night, therefore a zombie-like portrait when you look in the mirror the following morning!
- for a better digestion, don’t drink water 30 minutes before and after your meals and by any mean, DON’T drink any water WHILE you’re eating!
- the good, old, plain water is your best friend, so drink as much as you can!
- eat in small portions, you can always come back for more
- your body/mind will usually give you signals before you finish everything in your plate… THAT is when you HAVE to stop! Remember, you can eat/snack later!
- try to eat your foods as freshly prepared as possible